Höfundur þráðar
sami/B
Skráður: 02.sep 2012, 19:33
Fullt nafn: Sami Sven Abdesslam Belcaid
Bíltegund: Musso 2.9TD -96

Car is wheel hopping when slipping

Postfrá sami/B » 31.júl 2013, 19:13

Broke my front diff a while ago.
It happened when i was pulling up a stuck Jimny of the muds, and the car started to jump.

I have lifted the body 14cm and have hard discovery springs rear, and Heavy Koni adjustable dampers rear, (from a ford truck)
and front i have just screwed up the torsion bars.

Why does it jump? Do i have to change the Anti-squat angels? Should i soften the rear dampers? (the car is really stiff!)

HaffiTopp
Skráður: 02.feb 2010, 17:04
Fullt nafn: Hafþór Atli Hallmundsson

Re: Car is wheel hopping when slipping

Postfrá HaffiTopp » 31.júl 2013, 19:47

Why so much bodylift? What kind of tires are you on and how much did you crank the torsionbars at the front? You should never pull anything backwards as it could brake/ruin the front diff!!!

logimar
Skráður: 01.feb 2010, 00:38
Fullt nafn: Logi Már Einarsson

Postfrá logimar » 31.júl 2013, 20:39

From what I have seen and read about your Musso, I"m sorry to say but your car is just badly modified. You have way to much bodylift, your rear axel hav'nt been moved backwards and the rear suspencion is probably way to stiff, judging from your post. Liftimg the car in the front is by screwing up the torsion bars is not a good idea because you loose most of the upwards suspencion and the car looses its grip easyly, causing the hopping movement you are writing about. If you want to do this the right way you lower your suspension 70 mm both front and back, move your rear axel back about 140 mm and have the bodylift 100 mm max. L.M.

Dodge
Skráður: 05.okt 2010, 15:05
Fullt nafn: Stefán Örn Steinþórsson
Bíltegund: Jeep Wrangler
Staðsetning: Akureyri

Postfrá Dodge » 01.aug 2013, 09:55

I had the same problem with my 38" wrangler, the front shocks were just to weak.
Changed to rancho 5000, adjusted them to the max stiffness and problem solved.

Höfundur þráðar
sami/B

Postfrá sami/B » 01.aug 2013, 21:22

Thanks for the replays!

The car is sitting on 37"x12,5" STT Cooper Discovery (M/T).

And why i lifted the body that much, is because to be able to flex more.
In rear, i have grinded away 50mm of the fender arch, and still it rubbs the tires in some chases.
And the torsion is not that badly screwed up, about 50-60mm, since the car is slightly higher in back and the disco springs lift 80mm more than musso stock springs.

Bad picture, but you can se the lower A-arms which is not pointing to much downwards, is it?

Here you can see some flex, were the tire is 30mm away from rubbing the body

this is how far away the wheels are from the arch in normal stance.

The front shocks are stock. And maybe i should replace them with some longer?
Why do i need to move the rear axel backwards? And whats the disadvantages with to much bodylift?
And i was pulling forward when it broke :)

In this weekend, ther is Offroad night orientation coming, so lets se what gets broke then :)

StefánDal
Skráður: 23.mar 2010, 21:21
Fullt nafn: Stefán Hrannar Dal Björnsson
Bíltegund: Toyota Hilux

Postfrá StefánDal » 01.aug 2013, 23:45

The disadvantage of a bodylift that high is mainly that the bottom plate in the body will get very weak very quick around the body mounts due to the flex. And it looks silly.

But if it's what you want and what you need to do the offroading you're doing than just keep on trucking :)

Höfundur þráðar
sami/B

Postfrá sami/B » 04.aug 2013, 05:14

StefánDal wrote:The disadvantage of a bodylift that high is mainly that the bottom plate in the body will get very weak very quick around the body mounts due to the flex. And it looks silly.

But if it's what you want and what you need to do the offroading you're doing than just keep on trucking :)

This car has nothing to do with "look", it's just a car to have some fun with :)

Stebbi
Skráður: 31.jan 2010, 22:59
Fullt nafn: Stefán Stefánsson
Bíltegund: Eitthvað blátt
Staðsetning: Hafnarfjörður

Postfrá Stebbi » 05.aug 2013, 12:14

If you move the rear axle 50-100mm backward you get more clearance around the rear door. Bigger tires need more space in every direction and by moving it away from the door you reduce the need for all that bodylift you have.
Hilux DC 2.4 dísel úrbræddur
Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 Seldur
MMC Pajero 2.5TDI 38" Seldur
Ford Econoline 44"

Til baka á “SsangYong-Daewoo”

Tengdir notendur

Notendur á þessu spjallborði: Engir skráðir notendur og 8 gestir