Skráður: 24.sep 2016, 07:24
Fullt nafn: Gard Bjering
Bíltegund: Pajero 2006, 44"
Staðsetning: Grafarholt
Hafa samband:

Ready to explore Iceland

Postfrá mrgard » 24.sep 2016, 09:23

Dear Jeppaspjall users,

We are a Norwegian family just moved to Reykjavik, going to stay here for 3 years! And then of course had to get a suitable jeppa so we can explore the country :-) Got a Pajero 2006, modified for 44" tires. Really good fun to drive on the F-roads!

Now looking for tip for what to include in a "survival kit" for the car (rope, jack, deck repair, etc...) and where to buy parts.
Also want to get a trailer hook so I can mount a Thule bike rack at the back.
And for the winter need to get new tires...

So where are the best shops to buy equipment and tires?

And if anyone want to ride with me and show me some cool tracks, please get in contact!!

Have a nice weekend!
Gard
Viðhengi
pajero02.jpg
pajero02.jpg (36.88 KiB) Viewed 4329 times
pajero01.jpg
pajero01.jpg (43.83 KiB) Viewed 4329 times

snöfli
Skráður: 03.sep 2010, 19:21
Fullt nafn: Lárus Elíasson
Bíltegund: Patrol Y61

Re: Ready to explore Iceland

Postfrá snöfli » 24.sep 2016, 10:59

Congratulation on your new jeep.

You might want to look for smaller or narrower tires for the summer/fall trips.
These 44" are marvelous for snow/lacier driving and even rough trail but lesser on paved roads and better gravel.

Depends on the gear ratio how small you can use. Your 44" are actually 42" high so you might be looking for 37" or larger in radial tires or even 35".

I would look for used set with radial tires here on this page or facebook "Dekk og felgur" but you need to check if they fit. Not all 15" wheels will fit the Pajero.

The pajero on 37 to 38" radials will drive like normal car and be a super alternative for all long distance travelling and you will even get used to that in town.

Sample of tires for this application might be:

Tires:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=33418

Wheels:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6317142 ... 6249&rt=11

Set:
These might even go but then you have you see if the wheels fit in the front. Somethimes one has to grind a bit the corners of the front brakes and/or use spacers (I have 8mnn spacers for this application).
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=33354

Reg. L.

Járni
Stjórnandi
Skráður: 30.jan 2010, 22:43
Fullt nafn: Árni Björnsson
Bíltegund: Land Rover
Staðsetning: Akureyri
Hafa samband:

Postfrá Járni » 24.sep 2016, 13:30

Hi friend, welcome to Iceland and congrats on the car.

Check out stores like Arctic trucks, Bílabúð Benna, AB varahlutir, Stilling and Bilanaust for offroad and general parts.

Hekla is the dealer for Mitsubishi and Stilling for Thule!

Here is a thread, in Icelandic, regarding gear in the car. Try and look through it if you can, otherwise this might be the time to translate some of it. viewtopic.php?t=28315
Land Rover Defender 130 38"

Járni
Stjórnandi
Hafa samband:

Postfrá Járni » 24.sep 2016, 13:32

Also, I agree with Lárus. Smaller radials during summer make a nicer drive and much easier to live with.

Just don't go to small, small tires are boring :-)

Höfundur þráðar
mrgard
Hafa samband:

Postfrá mrgard » 24.sep 2016, 22:24

Thank you for replies and all the tips, really appreciate it!

I have indeed noticed the 44" tires are not very comfortable on the paved roads, but the car only came with 1 set of tires, and good for practicing to get used to the size! Tires are a bit worn, and nails are pulled out, so probably need a new set for winter (DC Fun Country, 18.5/44-15LT)

To get some smaller+narrower radials at 37 or 38" for summer is a good idea! Don't want to go too small, the Pajero still have to look mean enough ;-) Gear ratio on this car: 2:70 hlutfall í milligír 4:88 drifhlutfall

Will investigate the gear lists and google translate will hopefully help a bit! (Minn islenska er mjög slæmt...)

Gard

snöfli

Postfrá snöfli » 25.sep 2016, 10:18

These tires can possibly be respiked or even spiked by you with removable spikes. These tires are known here as gleðigúmmí or "happy rubber" for their qualities.

They are second to none in their ability to bulge and withstand deariation like is done here to float on snow. Their drawback is that they are unevenly made and beeing diagonal not radial makes them unstable on road. They do also have less grip than some of the other tires on the market, but that does have the positve sideeffect that one does not dig him self down if the wheels spin.

The selection of tires, that can survive the deairation, is limited and some of these tires have been shown to be outright dangerous after deairation like 39,5" IROK for instance.
Select another set carefully and seek the experience of guys using simular heavy car. Travelling in a group will also give you a comparisment and endless advise (requested or not).

For travel companions then you can look at; this web site (http://www.jeppaspjall.is), http://www.f4x4.is and there might be some guys on simular cars on facebook "Pajero á Íslandi".

For new tires then I would look at Good Year 42" (Goodyear Wrangler MT/R® With Kevlar®) by http://www.Klettur.is as one of the options.

reg. Lárus

Höfundur þráðar
mrgard
Hafa samband:

Postfrá mrgard » 25.sep 2016, 23:26

Hi Lárus,

Thank you for respiking tip and all the info for the tires! But is it not greater risk of puncture if respiking? (if the spikes pushes in small rocks or other fragments which are already stuck in the old holes). Will also try to take a picture tomorrow of how much threads are left on the tires, if it is worth it to respike!

Gleðigúmmí... will try to remember that word :)

And the MT/R Wrangler w/kevlar, looks like a good tire. Tried to read comparision for MTR with BF Goodrich tires (BFG KM2), looks like some love one type, others love the other one... whats the opinion here for the icelandic sharp lava rocks... which one is best?

Thanx again,
Gard

snöfli

Postfrá snöfli » 26.sep 2016, 16:32

You will have to drill new holes for respiking. The tire shops will tell you if they are willing to respike your tires or not and then for what size of spikes.

Puncturing is no issue if one is not entering the cords of plais of the tires.

We are usually not so concerned about the sharp lava rocks except in the fall when they might be hidden under thin layer of snow. Tires with lot of rubber on the sides help to protect against rocks but makes the tire weak for deariation as the thick wall will heat up during bulging and eventually fail.

The main issue is how you are going to use your tires. Tires for full pressure or like down to 20psi is different to when you are maximising your float and might be down to even 2psi.

I don't have experiece of the Wranger my self, but the older tires Fun Country, Mudder, Ground Hawg and AT405 will withstand the air down well, while the IROK 39.5, 38" Parnelli Jones and MTZ (to name some) will not.

The there are many others which I cannot argue about from my own experience. These larger BFG than 35" are new to me. I can also recommend 38" Toyo Open Country MT, expensive but good.

The most popular tire now MT 46" is too big for your set-up and I belive that the tourst industry here is mostly using either MT46" or MT/R 42"

Reg. Lárus

Kiddi
Skráður: 02.feb 2010, 10:32
Fullt nafn: Kristinn Magnússon
Bíltegund: Wrangler 44"

Postfrá Kiddi » 26.sep 2016, 17:00

If you don't mind some shaking while driving on the road the 44" Fun Country isn't that bad. The independent suspension of your Pajero is not vulnerable to "death wobble" (in icelandic "jeppaveiki", a quite violent and almost uncontrollable shaking of the front end). On the other hand most trucks with a solid front axle are vulnerable to that "illness".
In my opinion, the biggest advantage of the 44" Fun Country tires is how soft they are. That is also the biggest disadvantage - if you are concerned with perfect on-road handling and if the truck has death-wobble issues. Another advantage of the 44" Fun Country is that it is rather difficult to damage them compared to many other tires.

With smaller radial tires you might be giving away some softness and cushiness on the mountain tracks. Well, that's at least what I experience. However the 44" Fun Country's don't last all that long when driven on roads so that's why I myself use 38" AT during summer time.

So, iff I had your truck I would just get some better 44" Fun Countries for the winter.
There are some slightly used for sale once in a while, and you might be able to get a good set of tires with putting an advertisement in on this website.

snöfli

Postfrá snöfli » 26.sep 2016, 18:03

Totally agree with Kiddi above.

The 44" fun Country for heavy-winter traveling and something smaller for the rest of the year. AT405 are good tires. Their only disavanage I know is that they become uneven (not round) when really worn down. So don't buy used that are down to ~8mm or lower.

Höfundur þráðar
mrgard
Hafa samband:

Postfrá mrgard » 29.sep 2016, 16:18

Hello, I'm a bit slow in responding, sorry! done some more driving now on both asphalt and tracks (and my first rivercrossing!). And actually the 44" are not too bad on asphalt if inflated to ca 30psi,no wobbling and not too much vibration. Thread is only 5-8mm left, probably not enough for respiking? will leave these tires on now and get new for winter.

Anyone going to the Arctic truck show at saturday? I will come and get inspiration and meet people:-) See you there!
Gard

Járni
Stjórnandi
Hafa samband:

Postfrá Járni » 30.sep 2016, 08:13

I there is plenty of excitement for the new tire and I think the turnout will be good!

Til baka á “Almennt spjall”

Tengdir notendur

Notendur á þessu spjallborði: Engir skráðir notendur og 15 gestir